Welcome back to the 2023 third series of Beef Central podcasts, the Weekly Grill, with host Kerry Lonergan.
Today’s season-opening interview is a start-of-year assessment of the cattle and beef markets for 2023 with regular commentators, Stockco’s Chris Howie and Ep3’s Matt Dalgleish.
The pair discuss the 2023 year and what lies ahead: the dramatic adjustments in slaughter and young cattle prices seen since the start of the year; weather impacts with a forecast return to El Nino by mid-year; the effect of the US drought on demand for Australian beef in international markets and other potential headwinds and tailwinds.
Next week’s episode 2 will be an interview with MLA managing director Jason Strong.
Sponsoring our Weekly Grill podcast series are Kelly’s Finance Group and Elanco Animal Health.
Carbon neutral beef brand program pioneer, James Madden
MLA’s Corporate chef Sam Burke
Downs lotfeeder David Brown, and BeefEX attendees
The changing face of the ag finance sector, with NAB’s Khan Horne
McDonald’s global head of beef procurement, Andrew Brazier at BeefEX
S2 Ep33: Aussie agtech innovations – Farmbot and Optiweigh
- President of the Australian Cattle Veterinarians Association, Dr Tracy Sullivan
- Independent meat and livestock analyst Simon Quilty
- Genetics innovator Tom Bull
- MLA’s research, development and adoption manager, Mick Crowley
- Andy Hearnden, executive chef with beef processor Kilcoy Global Foods in Queensland.
- Low Stress Stock Handling founder Jim Lindsay
- NT Cattlemens Association president David Connolly
- Kimberley Meat Co chief, David Larkin
- Beef Central’s man-on-the-ground in Indonesia, Ross Ainsworth
- Meat processing legend, Trevor Lee
- Working dog legend Frank Finger
- New Federal Agriculture Minister, Murray Watt
- Wagyu Association president and 2022 Zanda McDonald award winner, Charlie Perry
- Latest cattle market wrap with TEM’s Matt Dalgleish and Stockco’s Chris Howie
- Cattle Baron Peter Hughes
- ALFA president Barb Madden
- Author and rural identity Sally Warriner
- Australia’s chief vet Mark Schipp, on Lumpy Skin Disease and other key biosecurity issues
- Herron Todd White’s Tim Lane
- RCS’s Terry McCosker on carbon
- Beef processing plant manager Wasa Mudannayake
- Head of asset performance for Macquarie Group’s MIRA Agriculture division, including Paraway Pastoral Co, Jock Whittle
- Veteran beef industry leader David Crombie
- Beef Central’s regular live export market commentator and columnist Dr Ross Ainsworth
- Cattle market wrap with TEM’s Matt Dalgleish and Stockco’s Chris Howie
- Australian meat Industry Council’s Patrick Hutchinson
- Agriculture Minister David Littleproud
- Council of Australia president Markus Rathsmann
- Patrick Warmoll, the boss of Jack’s Creek Wagyu
- Veteran pastoral company executive Roger Halliwell
- Retired non-packer beef exporter, Richard Rains
- Carbon trading expert Toby Grogan from Impact Agriculture
- Red Meat Advisory Council chair John McKillop
- Stud cattle showing identities Gary Noller and Rob Sinnamon
- Veteran Victorian cattle buyer David Ronalds
- Beef processing legend ACC’s David Foote
- Live export class action facilitator Tracey Hayes
- Signature Beef’s Blair Angus
- Consolidated Pastoral Co chief and Livecorp chairman Troy Setter
- Nutrition scientist and MLA board member Manny Noakes
- CCA independent northern and southern directors Alice Greenup and Olivia Lawson
- Australian Agricultural Co head Hugh Killen
- Sydney independent red meat retailer Stephen Kelly
- lotfeeder Charlie Mort
- Processor and supply chain manager, Terry Nolan
- Livestock transport operator Ross Fraser
- Organic supply chain manager Alister Ferguson
The Weekly Grill is brought to readers and listeners by Kelly’s Finance Group and Elanco Animal Health.
You fellows gave me a good snap shot of what is happening now and ahead.Also – having sheep and lambs discussed was a bonus
Surely our Govt must get off it’s backside and mandate some training paths for Aussie’s who have time on their hands and a degree of fitness. That is – if they continue not to let migrants in!