We have one opportunity to address the confusion of our consumers, the ongoing attack on our products using misleading statements, and the infringement of our Intellectual Property.
The deadline for the Senate Enquiry into Definitions of Meat and other Animal products has been extended to the 13th of August providing a great opportunity for all cattle producers to make a statement on this issue.
Disappointingly there is only 13 submissions to date and a number of these are from anti-livestock industry groups who for some reason feel there is no confusion in consumer labelling, that current labelling does not further their interests – but under no circumstances should regulation be introduced to support truth labelling. The fact the anti-livestock industry groups have shown their cards on this issue should be enough to prompt regulation.
Every submission to the enquiry from a producer will make a difference, it will let the government know that we are being impacted, that we need regulation to protect our livelihoods and customers. If you know anyone who has experienced confusion on this issue, please encourage them to provide a letter to the committee detailing their experience.
AgForce has compiled a Submission template that could assist you in completing your own
Submission that contains your own opinion with direct reference to the Terms of Reference
(a requirement of all submissions) and includes other relevant requirements to make a
Submission. Please note your submission can be confidential. The template can be accessed at the link https://bit.ly/3eZXJC9
If you wish to use the Submission template supplied in Word format, please follow the instructions below.
Instructions to complete Submission using the AgForce Word Doc template
- Open attached Microsoft Word document ‘AgForce Submission template’.
- Complete the Submission cover sheet (page 1) – this must be completed. If you wish to claim confidentiality over all or part of your Submission, ensure that you provide the reasons for this.
- Complete your Submission – this is where you need to express your own perspective and make your opinion relevant to the Terms of Reference. You do not need to reference all terms, just the ones you would like to include in your Submission.We have included some points in red coloured text to possibly assist you in discussing each Term of Reference however please use your discretion and interpretation, voice your own opinion in your own words and personalise your Submission. The red coloured text needs to be deleted and start typing in the box under each Term of Reference.
You may also wish to refer to industry facts and information in the MLA Fact Sheet and here are some additional links:
- Senator Susan McDonald’s announcement ‘Vegan Meat’ Labelling under Investigation
- MLA Fact Sheet – additional information and references
- Metabolomics Lab’s Analysis Finds Near-meat and Meat Not Nutritionally Equivalent (new study just released in the US) – Duke University, US
- Biotechnology professor challenges alternative protein claims – Beef Central
- Opinion: Protect consumers by protecting beef – Beef Central
- Sign your Submission by inserting your name, address and date at the bottom of your Submission in the spaces provided.
- **IMPORTANT**ENSURE THAT YOU DELETE ALL RED TEXT IN THE DOCUMENT (THE RED TEXT IS THE SUGGESTED POINTS ONLY THAT COULD ASSIST YOU TO REFER TO EACH TERM OF REFERENCE)
- Submit your Submission by saving the document and e-mailing it to the e-mail address on the cover sheet: firstname.lastname@example.org (Submissions must be submitted in MS Word format and in black ink)
If you would like to discuss lodging a Submission or require assistance, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
- Mark Davie is a member of the ABSF Steering Committee and Agforce Cattle Board