MOST steer and heifer prices trended downwards this week on AuctionsPlus, where cattle numbers on offer backed-off by 1186 head to total 10,092 head.
The clearance rate at auction eased to 68 percent, influenced by tentative buyer confidence coming out of Queensland, coupled with a broad range of regions waiting for more follow-up rain before stepping back into the market.
Weekend falls of up to 25mm across large parts of eastern Victoria, NSW and Queensland may help provide some of that stimulus in coming weeks
Weaner and yearling numbers were strong last week however, with listings exceeding 2000 head.
Small offerings were on trend and cleared well this week, with more than 900 head offered across lot sizes of 20 head or less, covering a vast majority of breeds and stock categories.
Cow and calf units sold to an average price of $1835, with a top of $2510 for two lots of quality Hazeldean blood Angus cows and calves totalling 100 head from Campbell & Co, Taralga, NSW.
Joined females this week averaged of $1527, ranging broadly from $980 to $2020. A good line of Santa and Santa cross cows, PTIC to good quality Fairfield Charolais bulls showed good value changing hands for $1310. The 7– 13 year old matrons will be staying in the Moree district in NSW.
Among larger lines offered on Friday, 124 Droughtmaster backgrounder steers out of Jericho in Central Queensland, 10-16 months 281kg sold for 341c/$957; while from Winton in western Queensland, 168 Charolais x Brahman weaned steers 5-11 months212kg made $730, 99 of their older backgrounder brothers 10-17 months 300kg made 302c or $905, and sisters 7-15 months 252kg made 299c.
Some good action out of Tasmania this week, where 13 lots offered were in high demand, resulting in an 85pc clearance and some strong bidding activity. A top price of $2300 was paid for a line of 586 kg Red Angus cows & calves from Ulverstone, with Simmental-sired calves at foot, heading to Forest, TAS. A line of 450kg shorthorn steers from Sorell sold for $1350 and are heading to Smithton, TAS.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold, by weightrange:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 327c to 375c/kg to average 393c (down 44c); while heifers sold from 306-342c to average 328c (down 9c)
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 302-350c to average 350c (down 16c); while heifers sold from 299- 368c to average 325c (up 5c)
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 318-351c to average 340c (down 2c); while heifers sold from 279-327c to average 310c (down 6c)
- Steers +350 kg sold from 299-351c to average 320c (up 3c); while heifers sold from 269-322c to average 297c (down 20c).
- Angus steers 10-12 months 265kg from BUNDARRA, NSW sold for 387c/$1025
- Angus/Santa steers 8-10 months 242kg, from BUNDARRA, NSW 376c/$910
- Angus steers 14-15 months 430kg, from HOLBROOK, NSW 321c/$1380
- Charolais/Shorthorn steers 13-15 months 435kg, from ORANGE, NSW 311c/$1350
- Santa/Brangus steers 9-11 months 290kg, from IRONPOT, QLD 368c/$1067
- Simmental/Droughtmaster cross steers 6-15 months 242kg, from ST GEORGE, QLD 362c/$875
- Santa Gertrudis/Hereford steers 16-18 months 456kg, from GOONDIWINDI, QLD 301c/$1370
- Simmental/Droughtmaster steers 11-15 months, 381kg, from BONSHAW, QLD 314c/$1193
- Angus/Shorthorn steers 8-9 months, 289kg, from MT COMPASS, SA 377c/$1090
- Angus steers 14-15 months, 373kg, from WATERHOUSE, TAS 352c/$1310
- Shorthorn steers 16-23 months, 451kg, from SORELL, TAS 300c/$1350
- Angus steers 6-7 months, 244kg, from BALINGUP, WA 335c/$815; 7-8 months, 284kg 319c/$905
- Angus/Santa Gertrudis heifers 8-10 months 255kg, from BUNDARRA, NSW sold for 338c/$860
- Angus heifers 14-17 months, 406kg, from TENTERFIELD, NSW 323c/$1310
- Droughtmaster/Braford heifers 9-13 months 226kg, from MARLBOROUGH, QLD 343c/$775
- Charolais/Brahman heifers 5-10 months 185kg from WINTON, QLD 336c/$620
- Brangus heifers 17-20 months 389kg, from BUCCA, QLD 277c/$1075
- Angus heifers 13-14 months 342kg, from CREIGHTONS CREEK, VIC 313c/$1070
- Angus/Shorthorn heifers 8-9 months 262kg, from MT COMPASS, SA 368c/$965
- Santa Gertrudis heifers 8-10 months, 262kg, from STOWPORT, TAS 336c/$880
- Limousin/Hereford/Santa heifers 8-10 months, 324kg from STOWPORT, TAS 327c/$1060.