LIGHTER and mediumweight steers and heifers rose sharply in value on AuctionsPlus this week, while heavier lines tended to decline in price.
Numbers offered on this week’s sales were little changed at 10,505 head, boosted by the first of the season’s Targeted Weaner and Yearling Sales offering 4800 head.
Following trends seen the previous week, joined female offerings were dominated by heifers. PTIC heifers averaged $1746 and sold to a top of $2760 for two lines of Speckle Park x Angus heifers from Wellington, NSW 15-18 months averaging 434-474kg, and PTIC to Speckle Park bulls.
Young PTIC cows averaged $1576, while proven breeders averaged $1388 and sold to a top of $1460 for a line of seven-year-old Angus cows from Jerilderie, NSW, PTIC to Paringa Charolais bulls.
Another highlight included a line of PTIC Angus heifers 14-15 months averaging 382kg, and PTIC to Wagyu bulls, from Goondiwindi, QLD which sold for $1705.
Cow-and-calf numbers dropped this week but prices still remained steady. First-calvers averaged $2170 and sold to a top of $2900 for a line of Angus cows and calves from Dundonnell, VIC. These cows were 25-26 months averaging 481kg and have been PTIC back to Angus bulls. The calves at foot were by Banquet Angus bulls, 7-8 months weighing 233kg.
Young cow and calf lots averaged $2021 and sold to a top of $2350 for a line of Lawson-blood Angus cows and calves from Omeo, VIC, four years old averaging 456kg and re-joined back to Angus bulls. The Angus calves at foot are 6-7 months averaging 178kg.
Proven breeders averaged $1767 with a top price of $2310 for Angus and Angus cross cows and calves from Harrogate, SA. These cows were 3-7 years old averaging 698kg. The Angus calves at foot are by Coolana bulls, 2-4 months averaging 180kg.
Mixed aged cow lines averaged $1655 and sold to a top of $1920 for a line of composite cows and calves from Narrabri, NSW. These cows are 4-11 years 542kg and have been re-joined back to Angus bulls. The fresh calves at foot are by Knowla composite bulls, 7-19 weeks old and 165kg.
Other highlights include a line of Santa/composite & Angus/composite cows and calves from Tara, QLD which sold for $1700. These cows are 3-11 years averaging 456kg. The Sangus, Brangus and Angus calves at foot were 1-3 months averaging 138kg.
Among larger lines, a line of about 200 EU-eligible Droughtmaster x composite backgrounder heifers from Springsure in Central QLD, average 245kg at 9-15 months sold for $775-$810, while their steer brothers, 120 in number averaging 304kg, made $1150.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weightrange:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 355-443c/kg to average 395c (up 11c); while heifers sold from 305-517c to average 361c (up 40c)
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 342-389c to average 371c (up 10c); while heifers sold from 310-397c to average 342c (up 18c)
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 310-378c to average 350c (up 20c); while heifers sold from 299-367c to average 320c (up 13c)
- Steers 350kg+ sold from 254-351c to average 301c (down 22c); while heifers sold from 269-320c to average 286c (down 1c)
- 7 to 9 month old, 213kg, Angus steers from BRAIDWOOD, NSW sold for 444c/$945
- 7 to 9 month old, 228kg, Angus steers from KARS SPRINGS, NSW sold for 441c/$1,005
- 14 to 16 month old, 430kg, Angus steers from BINALONG, NSW sold for 304c/$1,305
- 14 to 15 month old, 357kg, Angus steers from COOTAMUNDRA, NSW sold for 351c/$1,255
- 9 to 12 month old, 284kg, Angus/Cross steers from GLENMORGAN, QLD sold for 388c/$1,100
- 7 to 15 month old, 304kg, Angus/Composite steers from SPRINGSURE, QLD sold for 379c/$1,150
- 20 to 24 month old, 455kg, Droughtmaster steers from BLACKALL, QLD sold for 299c/$1,360
- 7 to 9 month old, 277kg, Angus steers from MANSFIELD, VIC sold for 389c/$1,080
- 8 to 9 month old, 301kg, Angus steers from DARRIMAN, VIC sold for 368c/$1,110
- 15 to 16 month old, 450kg, Angus/Poll Hereford steers from BOOKAAR, VIC sold for 295c/$1,330
- 8 to 10 month old, 313kg, Angus steers from VICTOR HARBOR, SA sold for 360c/$1,125
- 18 to 20 month old, 515kg, Murray Grey/Friesian steers from HAGLEY, TAS sold for 254c/$1,310
- 8 to 11 month old, 189kg, Angus/Santa Cross heifers from YETMAN, NSW sold for 352c/$665
- 12 to 15 month old, 298kg, Angus heifers from GRONG GRONG, NSW sold for 342c/$1,020
- 13 to 15 month old, 388kg, Angus heifers from COWRA, NSW sold for 311c/$1,205
- 5 to 6 month old, 144kg, Charolais Cross heifers from WESTMAR, QLD sold for 380c/$550
- 6 to 12 month old, 214kg, Charolais/Composite heifers from WESTMAR, QLD sold for 365c/$780
- 10 to 15 month old, 312kg, Black Simmental/Angus heifers from SPRINGSURE, QLD sold for 324c/$1,010
- 4 to 5 month old, 139kg, Angus/Friesian heifers from TOOLONG, VIC sold for 518c/$720
- 14 to 15 month old, 277kg, Angus Cross heifers from SWIFTS CREEK, VIC sold for 397c/$1,100
- 24 to 26 month old, 422kg, Angus/Cross heifers from HEYWOOD, VIC sold for 269c/$1,135
- 12 to 14 month old, 316kg, Angus/Friesian heifers from HAGLEY, TAS sold for 367c/$1,160
- 12 to 14 month old, 266kg, Angus/Friesian heifers from HAGLEY, TAS sold for 361c/$960
- 12 to 14 month old, 292kg, Angus/Friesian heifers from HAGLEY, TAS sold for 359c/$1,050
HAVE YOUR SAY