Qld Govt advice on stock route grazing permits

Beef Central, 09/02/2014

With 70 per cent of Queensland in drought, graziers desperately looking for feed along stock routes and roads have been advised to first check with their local councils about road agistment rules and regulations.

Agriculture Minister John McVeigh said the first point of call should be their local council staff to apply for permits which were also available from Natural Resources and Mines – the Department responsible for managing stock routes.”

“A stock route grazing (agistment) permit is needed to agist stock on stock routes, reserves for travelling stock, and on roads and other land under the control of local councils,” Mr McVeigh said.

“The first step in this process is to contact local government.

“We are standing behind graziers through this drought and want to ensure they have all the information they need about the support we are giving them.”

More information can be obtained through the Department of Natural Resource and Mines website:

Mr McVeigh also said recent cases of fines being issued by police highlighted the need for everyone working with stock along roads and stock routes to abide by the road rules.

“This includes, for example, that motorcycles be road-registered and for riders to wear helmets,” he said.

Mr McVeigh urged everyone in charge of stock being fed along roads and stock routes to ensure they fully understood and complied with permit conditions and particularly with road and traffic rules.

“Anyone unsure of these need to check with the local shire office and with their local police, particularly on the road rules to avoid fines,” he said.

Source: Queensland Minister for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment will not appear until it has been moderated.
Contributions that contravene our Comments Policy will not be published.


Get Beef Central's news headlines emailed to you -