News

NSW Govt to honour water rebates until June 30

Beef Central, 27/06/2014

The New South Wales Government says it will honour its commitment to provide funding for emergency water infrastructure and will accept all applications received for rebates for work completed on or before June 30.

The commitment from NSW Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and Minister for Primary Industries Katrina Hodgkinson follows concerns from the NSW Farmers association that funding had dried up leaving farmers who had installed water infrastructure in the expectation of receiving the 75pc rebate high and dry.

Mr Stoner said the NSW Government had committed $6 million to the program for the 2013-14 financial year, and a further $8 million for 2014-15, which was topped up by an additional $7 million from the Commonwealth Government.

“As a result of the difficult drought conditions facing much of the State we have seen a high take up of the $21 million Commonwealth and NSW Government’s Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate,” Mr Stoner said.

“Despite strong demand for this program, primary producers who have lodged applications for completed works and who have already installed infrastructure up to and including 30 June 2014, will still be eligible for the rebate,” he said.

Ms Hodgkinson said the NSW Government will ensure that primary producers who have already installed works up to and including 30 June 2014, but did not lodge an application before the program was fully subscribed, will receive the NSW Government’s contribution to the program – 50 per cent rebate, up to a cap of $30,000.

Applicants will now have until 5pm Friday 4 July 2014 to lodge an application to the RAA, with invoices dated on or before 30 June 2014.

“Under the agreement to deliver the program the Commonwealth Government provides a 25 per cent rebate, which raises the cap from $30,000 to $50,000. The NSW Government will meet its 50 per cent contribution, up to a cap of $30,000,” Ms Hodgkinson said.

“The NSW Government’s funding for this program is not limitless – infrastructure installed after 30 June 2014, which had not been previously granted pre-approval, will not be eligible for the rebate.”

Ms Hodgkinson said the NSW Government’s temporary emergency assistance package, including the Transport Assistance Reimbursement, will conclude on 30 Ju ne 2014 ahead of the commencement of the new national drought program from 1 July 2014.

“It will take the Rural Assistance Authority a number of months to assess applications and process payments for both the Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate and the Transport Assistance Reimbursement,” Ms Hodgkinson said.

“I strongly urge producers who believe they are eligible for the rebate to contact the Rural Assistance Authority on www.raa.nsw.gov.au or 1800 678 593.”

For more information about NSW Government and Commonwealth drought support measures available from 1 July 2014 visit www.daff.gov.au/assistance or www.dpi.nsw.gov/agriculture/emergency/drought.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Your email address will not be published.

Your comment will not appear until it has been moderated.
Contributions that contravene our Comments Policy will not be published.

Comments

Get Beef Central's news headlines emailed to you -
FREE!