QUEENSLAND beef producer and Agforce general president Georgie Somerset has been elected to the board of the National Farmers’ Federation.
The NFF held its annual general meeting via video link this week, where Ms Somerset was elected alongside Western Australian grain producer Tony York – who is now on second term.
While the new board was elected, New South Wales producer and former Cattle Council of Australia president Tony Hegarty, stepped down after five years as director for the organisation.
Board members are put forward for election by NFF member groups, like Agforce or NSW Farmers. The board is elected by the members, but there is no obligation to have a representative of all member groups.
The AGM also saw the election of NFF committee chairs:
- Angus Atkinson – Climate & Sustainable Development Committee
- Sue Middleton – Economic Policy & Farm Business Committee
- Chris Groves – Farming Systems Committee
- Peter Thompson – Telecommunications & Social Policy Committee
- Fiona Simson – Trade Committee
- Malcolm Holm – Water Committee
- Tony York – Workforce Committee
Plenty of topics are on the agenda for the NFF in the next term, including the role of methane emissions in carbon targets, the National Landcare Program and stepping up its advocacy for a government commitment to long-term biosecurity funding.