WITH cattle in short supply around the country, decent rainfall in some areas and an improved outlook, increased buyer confidence saw clearance rates on AuctionsPlus rise to 76 percent in trading this week.
That’s the highest clearance figure seen since late April, before conditions started to dry off.
Most steer and heifer prices rose this week, as numbers offered dropped to 6350 head, a further 8pc decline on the week before.
This week saw a quality offering of cow & calf units, with prices in a tight cluster ranging from $1600 to a top of $2250, to average $1886.
Topping prices for cows & calves was a line of EU-accredited 3-8 year old Angus cows with Dunoon blood calves at foot from South Gowrie Pastoral Co, Kingsvale, NSW.
Joined females averaged $1420 this week, ranging in price from $1180 to $1680. A line of PTIC Angus cows 3-5 years depastured to quality Wagyu bulls from Ridgemount Pastoral out of Dundee, NSW fetched the top price, and will head west to Moree, NSW.
Angus x composite NSM heifers 395kg at 15-16 months from Tenterfield, NSW made $1200 a head.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 325c/kg to 428c/kg to average 374c/kg (up 5c); while heifers sold from 307c/kg to 361c/kg to average 329c/kg (up 12c)
- Steers 250kg to 299kg sold from 337c to 420c to average 360c (up 5c); while heifers sold from 288c to 336c to average 313c (down 1c)
- Steers 300kg to 349kg sold from 287c to 362c to average 332c (up 6c); while heifers sold from 280c to 363c to average 321c (up 25c)
- Steers 350 kg + sold from 289c to 345 c to average 317c (up 6c); while heifers sold from 173c to 359c to average 293c (up 15c)
- Among larger lines offered, a run of 150 weaned Brahman cross steers 226kg at 5-10 months from Julia Creek in North Queensland made 364.4c/kg or $825/head; while 146 Angus and Brangus composite backgrounder steers in two mobs 218kg and 254kg made $935 and $1065 respectively.
South Devon/Angus x Hereford Charolais steers 11-12 mths, 198kg, from ARMIDALE, NSW sold for 386c/$765
Angus steers 12-14 mths, 252kg, from WALCHA, NSW sold for 385c/$970
Angus steers 12-14 mths, 438kg, from SCONE, NSW sold for 300c/$1310
Angus/Brangus composite steers 11-12 mths, 218kg from AUGATHELLA, QLD sold for 429c/$935
Santa steers 9-14 mths, 362kg, from CHINCHILLA, QLD sold for 326c/$1180
Charolais & Charolais cross steers 12-17 mths, 283kg, from TEXAS, QLD sold for 383c/$1085
Angus steers 13-14 mths, 283kg, from AVOCA, TAS sold for 357c/$1010
Angus steers 16-17 mths, 409kg, from EUROA, TAS sold for 330c/$1350
Angus heifers 12-13 mths, 332kg, from ARMIDALE, NSW sold for 364c/$1205
South Devon/Angus x Hereford/Charolais heifers 11-12 mths, 186kg from ARMIDALE, NSW sold for 362c/$673
Angus heifers 12-15 mths, 384kg, from TAMWORTH, NSW sold for 360c/$1380
Santa Gertrudis/Brahman cross heifers 12-17 mths 277kg from TEXAS, QLD sold for 293c/$810
Brangus/Brahman cross heifers 16-28 mths 402kg, from CAPELLA, QLD sold for 271c/$1089
Hereford heifers 12-13 mths 368kg from SEYMOUR, VIC sold for 306c/$1125
Angus heifers 13-14 mths 284kg from PIPERS RIVER, TAS sold for 332c/$940
Coming up next week on AuctionsPlus:
250 two-year old Angus heifers PTIC to outstanding Kuro Kin Wagyu bulls will be offered on Friday 27 October.
The heifers are off vendor, Australia Aulong Auniu’s prime Hunter Valley property Glenrock Station, being hand-picked and sent to the company’s Clear Hills property in the Snowy Mountains region where they were joined to specifically-selected Kuro Kin Wagyu bulls.
The heifers, averaging 540kg, are due to calve February/March 2018 for eight weeks. The will be offered in lot sizes from 24 to 42 head.
Click here to view listing, or contact: Gary Evans Monaro Livestock ph 0427 994 429.
HAVE YOUR SAY