RECENT rain across large parts of Queensland and the prospects of some good late-season grass growth spurred a strong response from buyers in Queensland on AuctionsPlus this week, accounting for more than 25pc of listings sold.
There was a solid upwards price trend in all young cattle sold, particularly heifers, where prices jumped around 20c/kg on average. This came despite larger offerings in many young cattle categories.
Overall cattle numbers offered remained relatively steady this week with a total consignment of 9423 head. Numbers out of Queensland declined by more than half off the back of continued rain, making up just 11pc of nationwide listings. Victoria also showed a similar trend, with buyer demand outstripping the local offering. Buyers from both Queensland and Victoria looked to a large New South Wales offering to meet demand.
Despite the absence of the fortnightly weaner and yearling sales this week, the steer portion of the catalogue lifted to 3745 head, with the bulk of these coming out of NSW. While lightweight steers made up the largest share of yardings, this week saw an increase in trade-weight steers hitting the market.
Unjoined heifer numbers were also strong with 2320 head offered, while joined female numbers totalled 2259 head.
Cow and calf numbers were down, with just 580 head offered, supported mostly by large listings out of South Australia. Buyer demand was strong and prices lifted to average $1849.
Top price for cows and calves of $2080 was paid for a line of EU-eligible Murray Grey cows from Mundulla, SA aged 3-7 years, with Murray Grey calves at foot and joined back to Murray Grey bulls. The same vendor also had a similar line of six year old cows which made the same money.
Further north, a line of 24-36 months Angus and Angus cross cows joined to Angus bulls, with 177kg Angus calves at foot returned $2050.
Demand for joined heifers was subdued this week, recording a $1393 average and a top price of $1600 sold as part of the new in the new mid-week cattle sale (Wednesdays at 10am), for 18-19 months heifers PTIC to Angus bulls, from Harden, NSW. The same vendor sold a further three lines of PTIC heifers which all returned $1550.
In other breeds, a line of 17-20 month old Santa x Hereford heifers PTIC to Angus bulls from Tingha, NSW sold for $1500.
Joined cows averaged $1246 and sold to $2150 for a line of 2-4 year old Red Angus cows, PTIC to Red Angus bulls from Elliot, TAS. On the mainland, a line of three-year-old Angus cows, PTIC to Angus bulls from Bathurst, NSW made $1545, while a line of 5-8 year old Angus proven breeders, PTIC to Angus bulls, from Bingara, NSW sold well making $1450.
Among larger mobs sold this week, a line of 132 Santa backgrounder steers 306kg at 10-18 months from Rolleston, Central QLD (EU and PCAS eligible) made $1095, while their lighter cohorts, 116 in number averaging 228kg at 7-15 months, made $940. A line of 142 EU and PCAS eligible Angus cross backgrounder heifers 13-15 months at 279kg from Emerald, Central Qld made 310.4c or $867 a head.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 296c to 447c to average 376c/kg; while heifers sold from 296-390c to average 327c
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 291-379c to average 352c; while heifers sold from 284-338c to average 304c
- Steers 300-50kg sold for 298-365c to average 335c; while heifers sold for 269-310c to average 289c
- Steers 350kg+ sold from 255-348c to average 309c; while heifers sold from 259-297c to average 285c.
- Santa Gertrudis steers 7 to 15 months, 227kg, from ROLLESTON, QLD sold for 414c/940
- Angus/Angus/Santa steers 5 to 7 months, 228.3kg, from GOONDIWINDI, QLD sold for 412c/940
- Santa Gertrudis steers 10 to 18 months, 306.1kg, from ROLLESTON, QLD sold for 358c/1095
- Charolais/Angus steers 5 to 7 months, 181kg, from SCONE, NSW sold for 447c/810
- Angus/Angus Cross steers 16 to 18 months, 385kg, from WALCHA, NSW sold for 310c/1194.74
- Angus/Angus steers 18 to 24 months, 352kg, from BOGGABRI, NSW sold for 332c/1165
- Angus steers 5 to 7 months, 236kg, from SUTTON GRANGE, VIC sold for 373c/880
- Hereford steers 6 to 7 months, 172kg from TARWIN LOWER, VIC sold for 362c/620
- Poll Hereford steers 11 to 12 months, 385kg, from BALLYROGAN, VIC sold for 303c/1165
- Angus steers 6 to 8 months, 382kg, from PONTVILLE, TAS sold for 348c/1330
- Angus steers 15 to 24 months, 716kg, from BORDEN, WA sold for 260c/1860
- Angus/Angus Cross heifers 13 to 15 months, 279kg, from EMERALD, QLD sold for 311/867
- Angus/Brangus heifers 10 to 15 months, 338kg, from CLIFTON, QLD sold for 301/1015
- Angus heifers 14 to 18 months, 378kg, from GOONDIWINDI, QLD sold for 285/1075
- Charolais/Angus heifers 5 to 7 months, 176kg, from SCONE, NSW sold for 391/685
- Droughtmaster heifers 5 to 10 months, 188kg, from TIBOOBURRA, NSW sold for 352/660
- Angus heifers 18 to 19 months, 416kg, from GALONG, NSW sold for 295/1226
- Hereford heifers 16 to 18 months, 465kg, from INVERELL, NSW sold for 260/1205
- Angus heifers 5 to 7 months, 232kg, from SUTTON GRANGE, VIC sold for 337/780
- Hereford heifers 6 to 8 months, 216kg, from TARWIN LOWER, VIC sold for 313/675
- Hereford heifers 10 to 11 months, 307kg, from TARWIN LOWER, VIC sold for 269/825
- Murray Grey heifers 12 to 15 months, 424kg, from MUNDULLA, SA sold for 298/1260
- Angus heifers 6 to 8 months, 316kg, from PONTVILLE, TAS sold for 311/980