RECENT rain over the eastern seaboard has put a spring back into the market’s step, with this week’s cattle offering increasing to 9245 head, up 45pc on the week before.
Unjoined heifers represented the biggest slice of the pie accounting for 37 percent of listings, closely followed by steers at 31pc. Cows with calves at foot were also in abundance this week with 1545 units listed.
While the vast majority of cow and calf numbers offered this week came out of New South Wales, buyer strength was seen from several states.
Young cows sold consistently, averaging $2106 to a top of $2350, up on last week.
Top price went to a line of 18-20 month old Angus cows with their first calves at foot sired by Booroomooka bulls, part of a complete herd dispersal at Bundarra, NSW.
Another line of young Angus breeders from Hillgrove Pastoral Co, Boorowa, NSW also sold well at $2330. In other breeds, an unusual line of Angus/Friesian cows with Blonde D’Aquitaine sired calves at foot from Kingparker Partnership, Holbrook, NSW caught buyer interest, selling for $2300. These cows were a three in one package, having being joined back to Limousin bulls.
Proven breeder listings this week had something to suit every buyer’s budget, with prices ranging from $895 to $2430, averaging $1760. Top price went to a line of 4-5 year old Angus cows with Limousin calves at foot from Clearday Park, Cargo, NSW.
Looking to other breeds, a line of 2-8 year old Hereford cows from Wellington, NSW with Angus and Hereford calves at foot and joined back to Angus bulls made $2010.
Joined female numbers were in tighter supply, with buyer action also slightly down. Among specialty lines was a large offering of PTIC Angus heifers from Australia Aulong Auniu Wang, Cooma, NSW. Joined heifers averaged $1666, selling to a top of $2110. This top price went to three lines of Angus heifers, PTIC to Kuro Kin Wagyu bulls from the above Cooma listings.
Joined cows sold to a top of $1660 to average $1423. This top price went to a line of Landfall Angus blood cows hailing from Pilkington Pastoral, Redpa, Tasmania. On the mainland, a line of 4-6 year old Angus cows, PTIC to Wagyu bulls, from Clarendon, Manilla, NSW sold for $1510.
In a large offering of 400 head of Santa cattle out of Blackall, central western Queensland, being sold due to very dry conditions, steers 6-15 months averaging 254kg sold for $965 and heifers averaging 229kg sold for $880.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weightrange:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 353c to 443c/kg to average 398c (up 24c); while heifers sold from 341-395c to average 374c (up 45c)
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 336-390c to average 365c (up 5c); while heifers sold from 295-357c to average 328c (down 15c)
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 305-388c to average 350c (up 18c); while heifers sold from 271-406c to average 325c (up 4c)
- Steers 350kg + sold from 300-352c to average 318c (up 1c); while heifers sold from 265-355c to average 312c (up 47c).
- Droughtmaster steers 10 to 14 months, 241kg from Gogango, QLD sold for 379c/$965
- Angus/Santa Gertrudis steers 14 to 18 months, 443kg from Goondiwindi, QLD sold for 301c/$1334
- Santa Gertrudis steers 4 to 7 months, 185kg, from Berrigan, NSW sold for 443c/$820
- Angus steers 5 to 7 months, 207 kg from Bombala, NSW sold for 432c/$895
- Angus steers 17 to 18 months, 386kg from Deepwater, NSW sold for 342c/$1320
- Angus/Hereford/Angus steers 13 to 14 months, 420kg from Seymour, VIC sold for 352c/$1480
- Angus/Hereford steers 13 to 14 months, 364kg, from Seymour, VIC sold for 346c/$1260
- Droughtmaster heifers 6 to 9 months, 199kg, from Birdsville, QLD sold for 395c/$785
- Santa Gertrudis heifers 6 to 15 months, 229kg, from Blackall, QLD sold for 384c/$880
- Droughtmaster/Composite heifers 15 to 22 months, 356kg, from Springsure, QLD sold for 302c/$1075
- Angus heifers 10 to 18 months, 309kg, from Acland, QLD sold for 316c/$975
- Angus heifers 13 to 14 months, 309kg, from Bathurst, NSW sold for 406c/$1255
- Angus heifers 12 to 13 months, 376kg, from Barraba, NSW sold for 354c/$1330
- Angus heifers 12 to 14 months, 369kg, from Bundarra, NSW sold for 355c/$1310
- Angus heifers 13 to 14 months, 325kg, from Mudgegonga, VIC sold for 360c/$1170
- Angus heifers 14 to 15 months, 391kg, from Mudgegonga, VIC sold for 309c/$1210
- Black Simmental/Angus heifers 14 to 15 months, 420kg, from Mortlake, VIC sold for 302c/$1270
- Angus heifers 9 to 11 months, 336kg, from Booborowie, SA sold for 271c/$910.
HAVE YOUR SAY