Quality remained very mixed in a slightly larger yarding of 5500 head consigned at Roma’s store sale yesterday. With the exception of some lighter steers and heifers, most prices were well back on the previous week.
Weaners under 220kg topped at 344c/kg and averaged 299c, while weaner steers 220-280kg reached 332c and averaged 303c/kg.
Steers 280-350kg reached 346c and averaged 298c, and steers 350-400kg reached 296c and averaged 279c. Feeder steers 400-550kg topped at 290c and averaged 266c/kg.
Among the young cattle offered:
- R & H Hall, Allawah, Lightning Ridge, sold 216kg Santa steers to 343c to return $741/head.
- S & R White Family Trust, Tarrebar, Roma, sold 216kg Charolais-cross steers to 334c to return $722. The 277kg Charolais-cross heifers sold to 292c to return $810.
- Newton Grazing, Mona Vale, Injune, sold 235kg Charolais-cross steers to 328c to return $773.
- Glengraco Grazing Co, Glenray, Yuleba, sold 260kg Hereford-cross steers to 320c to return $835. The Hereford heifers 284kg sold to 286c to return $814.
- Talbarear, Carlton, Walgett, sold Shorthorn steers to 320c for 223kg to return $716.
- Tumbar Grazing Co, Tumbar, Jericho, sold Angus steers to 316c and a pen of Charolais-cross steers reached 292c for 383kg to return $1120.
- J Gosper, Yannagan, Surat, sold Brangus steers to 316c for 281kg to return $888. The Brangus heifers sold to 288c for 257kg to return $740.
- Wheatleigh Station, Wheatleigh, Charleville, sold Brangus-cross steers to 314c for 187kg to return $589. The Brangus-cross heifers sold to 290c for 167kg to return $484.
- G & S Seawright, Comet Downs, Injune, sold Santa-cross steers to 312c for 288kg to return $900.
- Bangor Cattle Co, Bangor, Mungallala, sold Charbray steers to 302c for 333kg to return $1008.
Heifers 350-450kg reached 286c and averaged 255c. Heifers 280-350kg topped at 290c and averaged 262c. Heifers 220-280kg topped at 292c and averaged 265c, while heifers under 220kg topped at 310c/kg and averaged 276c/kg.
- A & K Curtis, Scotland Downs, Lundaura, sold Charolais-cross heifers to 290c for 258kg to return $750.
- Begonia Pastoral, Begonia Station, St George, sold Charolais-cross heifers to 272c for 345kg to return $939.
Cows over 500kg sold to 219c and averaged 210c, while cows 400-500kg reached 215c and averaged 195c. Cows 300-400kg sold to 210c and averaged 178c.
Cows and calves sold to $1390 and averaged $932.50/unit.
Bulls up to 400kg reached 300c and averaged 233c.
Yarding numbers rose slightly and the quality of store cattle remained very mixed at Roma yesterday. The yarding contained several large single vendor store weaner consignments from Jericho, in central west Queensland, and Yuleba, in south west Queensland. Store steers were cheaper, but the large lines of weaner store steers increased restocker buyer competition for the lighter end of the medium weight yearling steers. A line of PTIC cows mostly sold to processors for between 205c and 218c/kg.
Light weight yearling steers reached 346c and averaged between 307c and 310c, while plainer sorts sold mostly between 283c and 290c/kg. Medium weight yearling steers to feed earned to 298c and averaged 285c, while those returning to the paddock hit 310c and averaged 297c/kg. Heavy weight yearling steers to feed sold to 290c and averaged 275c, down 5c/kg. Light weight yearling heifers topped at 310c and averaged between 242c and 288c/kg. Medium weight yearling heifers to feed made to 288c and averaged 272c, up 8c/kg.
Medium weight grown steers to feed sold around 260c, down 9c/kg. Medium weight 3 score cows sold to 212c and averaged 204c, while heavy weight 3 score cows reached 218c and averaged 213c/kg. Cows and calves sold to $1,390 and averaged $933/unit.