Yarding: 5500 Change: -1200
A total of 5500 head of cattle were consigned at Roma’s Store Sale on Tuesday, an 18 percent drop from the previous sale. The quality of cattle on offer varied from plain to good. All the feedlot buyers from last week returned to the market, but were more selective when purchasing. Large, plain lines of store cattle lowered overall yearling steer and heifer price averages by 8c to 16c/kg.
Light weight yearling steers topped at 414c and mostly ranged between 379c and 381c/kg. Medium weight yearling steers to feed sold to 356c and averaged 331c/kg. Heavy weight yearling steers earned to 346c and averaged 332c/kg. Light weight yearling heifers reached 370c and averaged between 320c and 358c/kg. Medium weight yearling heifers mostly averaged between 315c and 320c/kg. Grown steers to feed sold between 316c and 287c/kg.
Weaners under 220kg topped at 414c/kg and averaged 361c/kg, while weaner steers in the 220-280kg range reached 406c/kg and averaged 369c/kg. Steers in the 280-350kg range reached 388c/kg and averaged 339c/kg, and steers in the 350-400kg range reached 357c/kg and averaged 308c/kg. Feeder steers in the 400-550kg range topping at 346c/kg and averaging 317c/kg.
Among the sale highlights:
- W Watts, Wynburn, Quilpie, sold 208kg Droughtmaster-cross steers to 414c/kg to return $862/head. The 225kg Droughtmaster-cross heifers sold to 368c to return $829.
- Gary Lee, Mountain View, Mitchell, sold 256kg Limousin-cross steers to 406c to return $1040. The 183kg Limousin-cross heifers sold to 362c to return $664.
- P & J Fisher, Quilberry, Charleville, sold 267kg Santa-cross steers to 404c to return $1080.
- G & H Wippel, Peppercorn, St George, sold 309kg Charolais steers to 388c to return $1199. The 290kg Charolais-cross heifers sold to 355c to return $1033.
- H & N Nelder, Gallala, Augathella, sold 290kg Santa steers to 382c to return $1108.
- Stackpoole Pastoral Co, Boorara, Cunnamulla, sold 308kg Droughtmaster steers to 378c to return $1166. The 253kg Droughtmaster heifers sold to 358c to return $907.
- Dart Pastoral Co, Thirlstone, Roma, sold 330kg Charolais-cross steers to 375c to return $1239.
- W & M Graham, Gail, Roma, sold 394kg Droughtmaster-cross steers to 342c to return $1350.
- Gwenbrook Farms Pastoral Co, Lilletoft, Roma, sold 496kg Santa-cross steers to 340c to return $1690.
- G Wilson, Yacca, Injune, sold 385kg Angus-cross steers to 340c to return $1309.
- P & H Sanderson, Mundalya, Yuleba, sold 480kg Santa-cross steers to 336c to return $1613. The 351kg Santa-cross heifers sold to 320c to return $1124.
- W & M Jones, Norolle Downs, Roma, sold Santa steers to 335c for 479kg to return $1605.
- Burradoo Property Trust, Burradoo, Wallumbilla, sold Charolais-cross steers to 332c for 480kg to return $1597. The Angus-cross heifers sold to 330c for 388kg to return $1281.
- J & A Ferguson, Annie-vale, Roma, sold Santa-cross steers to 329c for 509kg to return $1675.
- Fleetwood Grazing Co, Fleetwood, Aramac, sold Brahman steers to 277c for 483kg to return $1340.
- Heifers in the 350-450kg range reached 340c/kg and averaged 277c/kg. Heifers in the 280-350kg range topped at 360c/kg and averaged 313c/kg. Heifers in the 220-280kg range topped at 368c/kg and averaged 323c/kg, while heifers under 220kg topped at 380c/kg and averaged 348c/kg.
- R & B Mobbs, Wallambank, Bollon, sold Charolais-cross heifers to 360c for 317kg to return $1141.
- G & M Scott, Ruby Farm, Wallumbilla, sold Charolais-cross heifers to 356c for 285kg to return $1017.
- Lenroy Pastoral Co, Lenroy, Roma, sold Angus-cross heifers to 320c for 437kg to return $1399.
Cows over 500kg sold to 254c/kg and averaged 240c/kg, while cows 400-500kg reached 243c/kg and averaged 235c/kg. Cows in the 300-400kg sold to 286c/kg and averaged 231c/kg.
Bulls up to 400kg reached 400c/kg and averaged 307c/kg.