TODAY’s last sale AuctionsPlus sales for the year saw numbers drop significantly as everyone prepares for the Christmas and New Year period.
This week cattle listings totalled 3251 head, down 68pc from the previous week, with strongest purchasing activity from the Riverina, NSW and the Lower South East of South Australia.
Cows with calves at foot averaged $1588 this week and sold to a top of $1930. Top price went to a line of Simmental Cows from Exeter, NSW aged 5-6 years, averaging 545kg and depastured to Simmental bulls. The calves at foot were 5-6 months old averaging 185kg.
Another highlight was a line of Te Mania blood Angus cows from Beaufort, VIC which sold for $1600. These cows were aged from 4-10 years and averaged 576kg, and had been running with Angus bulls. The calves at foot were 3-20 weeks old averaging 130kg.
PTIC females averaged $1481 for the final weekly sale for the 2019 year, selling to a top of $1800. Top price went to a line of PTIC Angus heifers from Strath Creek, VIC. These Reiland blood heifers were 25 to 26 months old, averaging 573kg and PTIC to Angus bulls.
From the same vendor a line of younger heifers, 20-21 months, sold for $1700. Another highlight was two runs of three year old PTIC cows from Blackville, NSW which sold for $1520. These cows averaged 578kg and were PTIC back to Angus bulls.
Looking to the west, 100pc clearance was seen over the 148 head offered. Mixed sex yearlings sold to a top of 510c/kg or $1515, for a line of Angus yearlings, 15-17 months, averaging 297kg estimated dressed weight from Pemberton, WA. Slaughter cows averaged 436c dressed and sold to a top of 443c dressed. The top price went to a line of Angus & Angus cross cows and heifers, aged three to eight years, averaging 349kg/dressed, from Pemberton, WA. Slaughter bulls sold to a top of 443c/dressed for a line of Friesian, Wagyu and Hereford bulls, 18 months to six years, averaging 373kg. dressed from Northcliffe, WA.
Steer results this week included:
- Angus EU steers, 4-6 months, 162kg, from Aberdeen, NSW, selling for 299c / $485
- Angus steers, 4-9 months, 204kg, from Glen Innes, NSW selling for 330c/ $675
- Angus EU steers, 4-5 months, 222kg, from Canowindra, NSW selling for 305c/$675
- Angus steers, 13-15 months, 281kg, from Judbury, TAS selling for 367kg/ $1,030
- Angus & Angus X EU steers, 14-16 months, 302kg, from Walcha, NSW selling for 302c/ $910
- Poll Hereford x Angus steers, 8-12 months, 397kg, from Sorell, TAS selling for 297c/ $1180
- Angus & Angus x steers, 8-12 months, 403kg, from Sorell, TAS selling for 290c/$1170
Heifer results included:
- Brangus heifers, 16-17 months, 245kg, from Ravenswood, VIC selling for 217c/$530
- Angus & Angus x heifers, 13-15 months, 291kg, from, Judbury, TAS selling for 344c/$1000
- Angus heifers, 8-12 months, 383kg, from Sorell, TAS selling for 285c/ $1090
AuctionsPlus sales recommence in January 2020, as follows:
- WA Cattle: Monday 6 Jan
- Tas Cattle: Friday 10 Jan
- Weaner and yearling sale: Friday 10 Jan
- Eastern States Cattle Sale: Friday 10 Jan
- Grow Safe Weaner and Breeder Sale Friday 10 Jan