A RELATIVELY quiet first trading week of 2016 brought on by a wet Christmas and new year period for some areas saw a modest 2241 head offered at the first AuctionsPlus cattle sale for the year this morning.
Bidding interest from 259 registered bidders remained high, however, with the young cattle market starting strongly.
Heifers outpriced steers at the heavier end of the weight range categories, as is often the case following rain and a sudden shift to a focus on replenishing breeder numbers.
A line of 220 young Angus calves from Sutton Forest in the NSW southern tablelands, less than 150kg liveweight at 3-4 months of age, saw the steer portion sell for 478c ($700) and the heifers make 444c ($630).
A line of 160 Brahman backgrounder steers and heifers, 8-16 month old, out of Cracow in Central Queensland saw the steer portion averaging 213kg sell for 363c or $775, while the heifer portion at 192kg made 348c or $670.
Unweaned Angus and black baldy steers 270kg from Scone in central NSW sold for 380c or $1025
In a breakdown by weight categories in today’s sale:
- Heifers 250-300kg made 311c to 369c to average 340c
- Steers 300kg-350kg sold for 314c to 346c to average 330c, while heifers in the same weight range made 294-353c averaging 331c.
- Steers over 350kg made 309-327c averaging 317c, and heifers made 304c-334c to average 319c.
Top money was about for breeders with mixed age lines of cows and calves selling from $1410 to $2150, averaging $1800, and a top price of the day of $2410 for five and six year old Angus and Angus/Hereford cows with Angus calves at foot and re-mated out of Maryvale, southern QLD.
A single line of yearling PTIC heifers made $1370.
Other notable sales included Brahman and Charbray cross weaner heifers in southern QLD weighing 311kg selling for 323c or $1005, and 341kg yearling Angus steers in southern NSW making 346c.
Southern weaners offered to a national online audience received good prices with 377kg Hereford steers at Seymour selling for 327c or $1230, the lighter draft at 331kg making 333c, and the 320kg heifers selling for 294c; and Charolais/Angus heifers weighing 294kg sold for 311c or $915.
A few offerings of dairy-breed steers appeared today, with 269kg steers in southern QLD selling for 278c, and in Victoria 311kg to 411 kg lines of steers made 211c to 239c.
Click here to access Friday’s full sale results.
Coming up next Friday, Jan 15 on AuctionsPlus:
- 170 station-mated cows ex Muttaburra, Central Western QLD. Contact Tom Brodie 0428 712 095
- 130 PTIC Angus cows in six lots, ex South Purrumbete, VIC. Contact Greg Lenehan 0438 348944
- 110 PTIC Angus heifers, March 2014 drop, ex Casterton VIC, offered in three lots 484kg, 510kg, 555kg. Contact Jody Darcy 0400 635544.