ONLINE cattle offerings held relatively firm this week, with a total of 10,652 head catalogued on AuctionsPlus sales, up 560 head on the previous week.
Unjoined heifer and steer numbers dominated the offering representing 67pc of cattle listed, with a strong representation of weaner and yearling stock ahead of the December 1 kick-off of the industry’s feature weaner and yearling sales.
Heifer prices trended downwards this week, while steer prices were mostly higher.
Despite rain being recorded in every state throughout the last week, bidding action remained conservative across the board. However, with a somewhat more encouraging outlook for summer rainfall across the eastern states reported by Bureau of Meteorology, more buyers may be encouraged to return to the market.
Cow and calf numbers also remained healthy this week with more than head offered. First-calvers sold extremely well, averaging $1983 with a top price of $2420 paid for a line of 2-3 year old Angus and Angus cross cows, with Angus calves at foot and joined back to Angus bulls, from Willow Park, Carcoar, NSW.
A line of Santa and Santa cross first-calvers from Dalkeith, Tamworth, NSW with Angus-sired calves at foot and joined back to Angus bulls, made good money at $2350.
The Porter family, Mywurlie, Hay, NSW sold a line of 34 Angus cows and calves, 20-34 months for $1940, well over their reserve.
Proven breeders sold to a top of $2420 and an $1795 average. This top price went to a line of 5-8 year old, ex registered Paringa Angus cows with Paringa Charolais calves at foot from Switzerland Pastoral Co, Yea, VIC. Also of note was the herd dispersal of Galloway Pastoral, Crookwell, NSW which reached a top of $2310 for a line of 3-5 year old Santa cows with Santa calves at foot. Two other lots sold similarly for $2300.
Joined females, which were predominantly made up of heifers this week, averaging $1656.
Top price at $2150 went to a line Angus heifers, 18-24 months, PTIC to Wagyu bulls, sold as part of the annual sale from Mingbool Pastoral, Dartmoor, VIC. In other breeds, a large offering of 220 EU-eligible Poll Hereford heifers, 24-26 months PTIC to Poll Hereford bulls from Paspaley Pearls’ Thornthwaite station, Scone, NSW offered in three lots numbering in the 70’s sold for $1770.
In Queensland, a line of 72 Brangus heifers, PTIC to Bar H Wagyu bulls sold for $1200.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 357c to 418c/kg to average 384c (down 9c); while heifers sold from 305-340c to average 321c (down 7c)
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 329-398c to average 361c (up 11c); while heifers sold from 295-350c to average 324c (down 1c)
- Steers 300-350g sold from 302-353c to average 330c (down 10c); while heifers sold from 274-335c to average 307c (down 3c)
- Steers 350kg + sold from 287-346c to average 323c (up 3c); while heifers sold from 239-299c to average 287c (down 10c).
- 7 to 9 month old, 207kg, Angus steers from Merriwa, NSW sold for 418c/$865
- 14 to 16 month old, 440.4kg, Angus steers from Walcha, NSW sold for 324c/$1425
- 14 to 15 month old, 400.2kg, Angus steers from Cootamundra, NSW sold for 330c/$1320
- 4 to 9 month old, 192.2kg, Composite steers from Goondiwindi, QLD sold for 401c/$770
- 11 to 13 month old, 222.9kg, Brahman steers from Gin Gin, QLD sold for 359c/$800
- 11 to 13 month old, 413.8kg, Hereford steers from Bringalily, QLD sold for 311c/$1285
- 15 to 16 month old, 323.4kg, Angus steers from Benalla, VIC sold for 353c/$1140
- 15 to 16 month old, 373.5kg, Angus steers from Benalla, VIC sold for 332c/$1240
- 14 to 15 month old, 445.2kg, Angus/Black Baldy steers from Mortlake, VIC sold for 307c/$1365.6
- 8 to 9 month old, 351kg, Angus steers from Keith, SA sold for 347c/$1215
- 7 to 8 month old, 259.7kg, Charolais/Red Angus/Shorthorn heifers from Murrurundi, NSW sold for 351c/$910
- 7 to 8 month old, 241kg, LIMFLEX/Angus heifers from Scone, NSW sold for 341c/$820
- 22 to 30 month old, 440kg, Poll Hereford heifers from Tenterfield, NSW sold for 288c/$1265
- 11 to 13 month old, 227.7kg, Belmont Red heifers from Gin Gin, QLD sold for 328c/$745
- 8 to 14 month old, 291.6kg, Angus/Angus/Santa heifers from Oakey, QLD sold for 322c/$938.54
- 8 to 9 month old, 333.5kg, Angus heifers from Keith, SA sold for 332c/$1105
- 12 to 15 month old, 303.1kg, Hereford/Poll Hereford heifers from Tintinara, SA sold for 274c/$830
- 15 to 16 month old, 482.1kg, Angus heifers from Scottsdale, TAS sold for 276c/$1330
- 17 to 18 month old, 572.5kg, Angus heifers from Pemberton, WA sold for 240c/$1370