A SHARP rise in heifer numbers, with 4600 listed, contributed to a 44pc lift in the catalogue for online cattle this week on AuctionsPlus, where buyers competed for just short of 9900 head.
Young cattle prices saw steer categories unchanged to slightly easier, while heavier heifer categories trended down.
Joined and PTIC heifers this week recorded an average of $1551, ranging from $955 to $2010.
The top prices went to a line of Booroomooka blood, 17-18 month old Angus heifers, PTIC to Angus bulls, from Bingara, NSW.
Other heifer highlights this week included a line of 22-23 month old Friesian/Jersey PTIC heifers from Tallangatta, VIC which sold for $1625. Joined breeding cows averaged $1237, with highlights included five-year-old Connamara blood Angus cows, PTIC to Black Simmental/Angus bulls, from Euroa, VIC selling for $1800.
Cow and calf units averaged $1629 this week and were topped by small line of 3-4 year old Speckle Park/Angus and Speckle Park cross cows with Speckle Park calves at foot. This mob from Oberon, NSW were rejoined to a Speckle Park bull and sold for $2210.
A line of 4-12 year old Santa and Droughtmaster cows with Speckle Park calves at foot from Allora, QLD sold for $1600, while a line of mixed age predominantly Droughtmaster cows with Angus and Charolais cross calves at foot from Moree, NSW sold for $1650.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 282c to 415c to average 356c/kg; while heifers sold from 274-383c to average 307c
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 270-390c to average 338c; while heifers sold from 248-341c to average 282c
- Steers 300-350kg sold for 265-359c to average 316c; while heifers sold for 215-297c to average 270c
- Steers 350kg + sold from 269-322c to average 299c; while heifers sold from 217-381c to average 274c
- Droughtmaster steers 5-10 months 175kg, from BOULIA, QLD sold for 415c/$725
- Angus steers 5-11 months 271kg, from GOONDIWINDI, QLD sold for 340c/$920
- Droughtmaster x Hereford steers 11-17 months 386kg, from BLACKALL, QLD sold for 296c/$1142
- Angus cross steers 10-13 months 289kg, from MOONIE, QLD sold for 334c/$965
- Santa and Santa cross steers 5-6 months 153kg, from YETMAN, NSW sold for 407c/$625
- Charolais x Angus steers 7- 8 months 282kg, from BARRABA, NSW sold for 390c/$1100
- Angus/Hereford steers 16-18 months 397kg, from WALCHA, NSW sold for 289c/$1145
- Friesian steers 15-18 months 419kg, from WATTAMONDARA, NSW sold for 272c/$1135
- Hereford steers 12-13 months 386kg, from YEA, VIC sold for 309c/$1190
- Angus x steers 12-16 months 278kg, from EDENHOPE, VIC sold for 271c/$750
- Limousin/Angus steers 8-12 months 375kg, from ASHVILLE, SA sold for 270c/$1010
- Angus steers 9-10 months 324kg, from MANJIMUP, WA sold for 311c/$1005
- Murray Grey steers 16-36 months 475kg, from BOYUP BROOK, WA sold for 286c/$1355
- Angus steers 9-10 months 361kg, from BOYUP BROOK, WA sold for 322c/$1160
- Droughtmaster heifers 5-10 months 166kg, from BOULIA, QLD sold for 327c/$540
- Angus heifers 5-10 months 242kg, from GOONDIWINDI, QLD sold for 312c/$755
- Droughtmaster cross heifers 8 to 14 months 357kg, from SURAT, QLD sold for 280c/$1001
- Santa heifers 14 to 16 months 380kg, from MITCHELL, QLD sold for 260c/$989
- Angus x Santa heifers 5-6 months 157kg, from YETMAN, NSW sold for 383c/$600
- Charolais/Angus & Angus x heifers 7 to 8 months 264kg, from BARRABA, NSW sold for 341c/$900
- 17 Angus heifers to 18 months 459kg, from COOMA, NSW sold for 282c/$1290
- Angus heifers 17 to 18 months 388kg, from TUMUT, NSW sold for 272c/$1054
- Angus/Angus Cross heifers 8 to 15 months 215kg, from EDENHOPE, VIC sold for 294c/$630
- Black Simm X Angus/Angus heifers 10 to 11 months 365kg from EUROA, VIC sold for 274c/$1000
- Angus Cross heifers 12 to 18 months 330kg, from EDENHOPE, VIC sold for 216c/710
- Limousin/Angus heifers 8 to 12 months 342kg, from ASHVILLE, SA sold for 267c/$910
- Angus heifers 8 to 11 months 353kg, from OGILVIE, WA sold for 381c/$1345
- Angus heifers 9 to 10 months 333kg, from BOYUP BROOK, WA sold for 290c/$965