CATTLE listed online for the final AuctionsPlus Eastern States weekly sales for the year yesterday eased to 9212 head.
While most steer categories rose in value, heifers tended to move in the opposite direction, with the exception of lighter descriptions.
An average of 295 bidders logged in across yesterday’s Eastern States and weaner sales, demonstrating strong interest in stock being marketed online.
Clearance rates dropped slightly to average 52pc across the auctions, reflecting a drop in demand. Predicted warmer than average summer conditions for the south east and central parts of Australia may have swayed buyer confidence.
Joined females this week averaged $1733, with the top price of $2300 going to a line of Angus/Friesian heifers out of Inman Valley in SA. These heifers have been joined to Angus bulls and are heading to Charleston, SA.
The majority of cows and calf units listed this week sold, averaged $1911 and ranged from $1360 to $2680. Top price went to 5-8 year old Dulverton and Wattletop blood Angus cows and calves from Kelvin, NSW, joined back to Wagyu bulls, on their way to Gunnedah, NSW.
Two-year-old Speckle Park cows and calves, with cows rejoined to Limousin bulls, out of Camden, NSW sold for $2480 to a buyer from East Ballina, NSW.
Unjoined 12-14 month old Red Angus heifers weighing 345kg from Bangor, TAS sold for $1200 or 347c/kg, heading to Quoiba, TAS.
A good selection of steers were offered this week, with prices ranging from $765 to $1410. Top price went to a line of 10-12 month old 398kg Gelbvieh x Simmental steers from Bagdad, TAS. These steers found a buyer in Huonville, TAS.
Nine to ten month old Angus steers averaging 413kg sired by Coolana and Glaetz Angus bulls, out of Penola, SA, sold for $1378 or 333c/kg to a buyer near Newton, VIC.
Among larger lines, out of Jericho, Central western Queensland, still suffering dry conditions, a line of 108 EU-eligible Simmental x Brahman weaned steers 286kg at 12-15 months made $1060, while 147 of their sisters averaging 257kg made $865. A further 74 Simbrah NSM cows and calves 7-10 years average 436kg made $1375.
AuctionsPlus’s second Weaner and Yearling sale of the year attracted 5200 head, up 400 head from the previous sale.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 361c to 409c/kg to average 392c (up 26c); while heifers sold from 335-473c to average 395c (up 22c)
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 339-370c to average 351c (down 25c) ; while heifers sold from 252-337c to average 309c (down 22c)
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 305-381c to average 343c (up 9c) ; while heifers sold from 280-348c to average 305c (down 24c)
- Steers 350kg+ sold from 277-354c to average 328c (up 22c) ; while heifers sold from 280-311c to average 294c (down 3c)
That’s the last regular eastern states sales for the year. Regular weekly Friday sales will return on Friday, 5 January, with reports resuming on Beef Central Saturday, 6 January.
- 8 to 9 month old, 190kg, Hereford steers from MOLONG, NSW sold for 409c/$780
- 5 to 6 month old, 249kg, Angus steers from BORENORE, NSW sold for 404c/$1005
- 14 to 16 month old, 429kg, Angus/Simmental steers from TUMUT, NSW sold for 303c/$1297
- 15 to 16 month old, 416kg, Angus steers from TOOMA, NSW sold for 308c/$1279
- 12 to 15 month old, 286kg, Simm/Brah Cross steers from JERICHO, QLD sold for 370c/$1060
- 6 to 13 month old, 212kg, Composite steers from WINTON, QLD sold for 361c/$765
- 12 to 14 month old, 345kg, Angus steers from GATUM, VIC sold for 357c/$1230
- 13 to 14 month old, 364kg, Angus steers from MORTLAKE, VIC sold for 339c/$1235
- 9 to 10 month old, 322kg, Angus/Hereford steers from PENOLA, SA sold for 360c/$1158
- 9 to 10 month old, 320kg, Angus steers from NARACOORTE, SA sold for 352c/$1125
- 9 to 10 month old, 403kg, Angus steers from PENOLA, SA sold for 343c/$1378
- 9 to 10 month old, 364kg, Angus/Hereford steers from PENOLA, SA sold for 345c/$1254
- 8 to 10 month old, 245kg, Angus steers from OATLANDS, TAS sold for 395c/$965
- 9 to 10 month old, 329kg, Angus steers from LAUNCESTON, TAS sold for 382c/$1255
- 10 to 12 month old, 399kg, Gelbvieh/Simm Cross steers from BAGDAD, TAS sold for 354c/$1410
- 10 to 11 month old, 332kg, Angus steers from SCOTTSDALE, TAS sold for 380c/$1260
- 4 to 5 month old, 176kg, Charolais/Angus heifers from SCONE, NSW sold for 474c/$835
- 8 to 9 month old, 188kg, Hereford heifers from MOLONG, NSW sold for 378c/$710
- 15 to 16 month old, 400kg, Shorthorn heifers from MULWALA, NSW sold for 312c/$1245
- 13 to 15 month old, 326kg, Angus heifers from TUMBARUMBA, NSW sold for 317c/$1030
- 6 to 13 month old, 194kg, Composite heifers from WINTON, QLD sold for 336c/$650
- 12 to 15 month old, 257kg, Simm/Brah Cross heifers from JERICHO, QLD sold for 337c/$865
- 13 to 18 month old, 269kg, Composite heifers from WINTON, QLD sold for 253c/$680
- 9 to 10 month old, 265kg, Angus heifers from CARRAJUNG SOUTH, VIC sold for 314c/$830
- 9 to 10 month old, 310kg, Angus heifers from CARRAJUNG SOUTH, VIC sold for 304c/$940
- 15 to 16 month old, 365kg, Limousin/Angus heifers from BENALLA, VIC sold for 291c/$1060
- 14 to 16 month old, 356kg, Angus heifers from CAVENDISH, VIC sold for 288c/$1025
- 12 to 15 month old, 345kg, Red Angus heifers from BANGOR, TAS sold for 348c/$1200
- 10 to 11 month old, 298kg, Angus heifers from SCOTTSDALE, TAS sold for 330c/$980
- 16 to 18 month old, 431kg, Angus heifers from JERICHO, TAS sold for 291c/$1250
- 14 to 16 month old, 412kg, Angus heifers from JERICHO, TAS sold for 301c/$1240