CATTLE numbers slid this week on AuctionsPlus to a total of 4927 head across commercial sales, while clearance eased to 53 percent.
Steers were the best represented stock category, constituting 34pc of the offering. Unjoined females were also well represented, making up 31pc.
New South Wales stock will be on the move in the coming weeks with cattle from the state attracting buyers from four states. One line of Angus weaner heifers will be travelling more than 1900km from Mudgee, NSW to reach their new home in Julia Creek, QLD.
In Queensland, a line of Santa Gertrudis heifers from Blackall will be settling in to an even longer truck ride, travelling to Bullsbrook, WA some 4100 km west of their current home.
Cow and calf units averaged $2040 this week, selling to a top of $2580 for a small line of three year old, Angus/Friesian second calvers from Calview Pastoral, Laceby, VIC. These girls had sappy Angus calves at foot, averaging 198kg, and have been joined back to Witherswood Angus bulls.
Also of note was a line of first calvers from McDonalds Creek, Willow Tree, NSW that sold for $2430. This larger line of Te Mania blood Angus cows have fresh calves at foot sired by Fullblood Wagyu bulls. Proven breeders topped at $2300 for a line of 5-6 year old Angus cows from Nebea, Coonamble, NSW with Hazeldean blood calves at foot, and joined back to the same bulls.
Joined females sold to a $2220 top, averaging $1518. This top went to a line of Speckle Park/Angus heifers PTIC to Speckle Park bulls from Quirk Trading, Wellington, NSW. The same vendor also had a line of black Speckle Park/Angus heifers that sold for $1800. Over in South Australia, a line of mixed age Angus cows from Tom Brinkworth’s Wattervalley, Kingston, SA sold for $1450.
Looking to the north, a line of 3-6 year old Santa Gertrudis cows, PTIC to Greenup Santa bulls from Omeo, Thallon, QLD sold for $1430.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 330c to 353c/kg to average 354c/kg; while heifers sold from 271-308c to average 289c
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 289-360c to average 325c; while heifers sold from 275-283c to average 291c
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 279-317c to average 301c; while heifers sold from 257-356c to average 314c
- Steers +350kg sold from 284-318c to average 299c; while heifers sold from 255-310c to average 272c.
- 88 Angus steers, 8- 12 months, 228kg, Talwood QLD – 353c/$805
- 35 Angus steers, 10-13 months, 375kg, Warwick QLD – 308c/$1155
- 39 Angus steers, 10-22 months, 211kg, Megalong Valley NSW – 379c/$800
- 90 Shorthorn steers, 12-14 months, 358kg, Coonamble NSW – 318c/$1140
- 12 Murray Grey steers, 11-12 months, 306kg, Wangaratta VIC – 311c/$950
- 75 Santa Gertrudis Heifers, 12-24 months, 377kg, Blackall QLD- 265c/$1001
- 114 Angus heifers, 8-12 months, 213kg, Talwood QLD- 308c/$655
- 85 Angus heifers, 11-13 months, 312kg, Tarcutta NSW- 356c/$1110
- 92 Angus heifers, 12-13 months, 350kg, Blackville NSW- 310c/$1085
- 12 Poll Herford heifers, 11-13 months, 280kg, Dunnalley TAS- 318c/$890.