WITH some rain forecast across areas of eastern NSW and southern Queensland over the weekend, prices for most young cattle categories picked up sharply on AuctionsPlus this week.
The sale clearance rate for this week’s sales also improved, to 71 percent.
Overall numbers offered declined 25pc to 5589 head, as some vendors sat on the sidelines pending the results from any rain relief. NSW vendors provided 78pc of the yarding.
Again this week, the dedicated Weaner & Yearling sale attracted the majority of listings, accounting for 3617 head.
PTIC and joined female numbers increased to 959 head, with PTIC heifers selling from $765 to $1500 and averaging $994. Young PTIC cows sold from $1055 to $1295 to average $1173, while PTIC proven breeders sold from $695 to $1700 to average $1093.
Highlights included 170 PTIC Charolais heifers and cows, offered by JI & LC Noller, Oakwells, Injune, QLD as part of a herd reduction. These females have been bred from Palgrove, Moongool and Gunnadoo bloodlines. Within the offering 33 heifers aged 22 to 26 months, weighing 440kg sold for $1500. The cow portion averaged $1190 and sold to a top of $1350.
Other highlights include a line of 5-8 year old Santa cows averaging 518kg offered by Ian Mitchell & Co, Aramac, QLD, sold PTIC to Santa bulls, which made $1700.
Cow and calf numbers halved from last week for a total offering of 596 head. First calvers averaged $1312 and topped at $1665 for a line of two-year-old Angus averaging 440kg and not rejoined, from Coolah, NSW. The Angus calves at foot were aged 2-3 months averaging 94kg.
Young cows and calves averaged $1211 and topped at $1960 for a line of 3-4 year-old Speckle Park x Santa cows averaging 584kg and depastured to Speckle Park bulls, from Hillston, NSW. The Speckle Park-sired calves at foot were aged 5-6 months averaging 176kg.
Older cows and calves this week averaged $813 and topped at $960 for a line of Hereford cows 3-8 years averaging 500kg with Angus-sired calves at foot, from Rockley, NSW.
Out of Western Australia a line of Lawson blood Angus slaughter heifers, 20 months old averaging 297kg dressed sold for 497c/dressed weight or $1475. Angus cows, aged 5 to 9 years, weighing 370kg dressed sold for 390c/kg dressed, or $1443. Angus bulls, 5-6 years averaging 558kg dressed sold for 340c dressed, or $1896. A line of Friesian and Friesian cross heifers and cows, 3-7 years averaging 239kg dressed sold for 372c dressed or $888.
Among other larger lines sold this week:
- 192 Angus cows, 3-4 years average 475kg, PTIC to Angus bulls, from Glen Innes in northern NSW sold in three lines for $1160
- 136 Droughtmaster backgrounder steers 9-15 months averaging 293kg from Richmond, North QLD made 267c/$781
- 88 EU-eligible Angus weaned heifers, 9-11 months averaging 264kg, from Guyra NSW made $675
- 82 EU-eligible Angus yearling steers, 9-11 months averaging 256kg from Ben Lomond NSW made 301c/$772
- 114 EU-eligible Angus weaned heifers, 11-12 months at 238 kg, from Binnaway NSW made $610
- 200 Angus backgrounder heifers, 16-20 months at 260kg, from Warren NSW made 235c/$610
In a breakdown of younger cattle sold this week, by weightrange:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 238c to 304c to average 272c; while heifers sold from 194-261c to average 238c
- Steers 250-300kg sold from 247c to 325c to average 283c; while heifers sold from 185c to 266c to average 233c
- Steers 300-350kg sold from 266c to 323c to average 299c; while heifers sold from 257c to 292c to average 278c
- Heifers 350+kg sold to 274c
10 to 12 month old, 284kg, Angus steers from BUNGOWANNAH, NSW sold for 326c/925
11 to 13 month old, 311kg, Angus steers from MERRIWA, NSW sold for 323c/1005
14 to 23 month old, 335kg, Angus steers from TAMWORTH, NSW sold for 310c/1039.43
9 to 15 month old, 293kg, Droughtmaster steers from RICHMOND, QLD sold for 267c/781.1
12 to 16 month old, 303kg, Simmental/Hereford Cross steers from MITCHELL, QLD sold for 266c/805
11 to 13 month old, 327kg, Santa/Poll Hereford heifers from KOREELAH, NSW sold for 292/955
10 to 12 month old, 302kg, Angus heifers from BUNGOWANNAH, NSW sold for 288/870
14 to 15 month old, 345kg, Speckle Park/Angus heifers from GEURIE, NSW sold for 257/885
9 to 11 month old, 262kg, Angus heifers from TOOBEAH, QLD sold for 258/675