Returning to Beef Australia 2018 next year is the Graeme Acton Beef Connection program, designed to cultivate and nurture future industry leaders.
Named in honour of the late Graeme Acton, the program enables young people who are willing to challenge themselves to develop a project for the betterment of our industry. Beef Australia matches these young people with some great achievers across the red meat supply chain to get the job done. It is a program designed to mirror the inspiration and encouragement that Graeme Acton gave to so many in the industry.
The strength of this year’s applications was outstanding, Beef Australia 2018 chairman Blair Angus said – not just the presentation of the candidates but the big thinking that came forward in their nominated projects.
“Beef Australia sees this as not only a program that develops lifelong business relationships but also one that generates real benefit for industry. It’s about developing the skill set to seek out solutions and implement change,” Mr Angus said.
An excellent example this year is the partnership between Stewart Moroney from Victoria and his mentor, Brett Kelly. Brett is the CEO of Norco, one of most successful Australian farmer-owned cooperatives.
The successful 2018 applicants and their mentors come from all over Australia:
- Anna White from NSW is being mentored by Queensland cattle producer David Greenup
Bede McAlpin from Queensland is being mentored by retired meat trader and exporter Richard Rains
- Ella Paine from Queensland is being mentored by Augathella beef producer Steve Taylor
- Hamish Lamond from the NT is being mentored by respected NSW seedstock producer and consultant Greg Chappell
- Annabelle Butler from NSW is being mentored by MDH Pty Ltd’s Julie McDonald;
- Jim Teasdale from Victoria is being mentored by progressive Queensland agri-business developer and operator, Ken Rich
- Stewart Moroney from Victoria is being mentored by Brett Kelly.
Project presentations from each participant will appear in the Beef 2018 itinerary. The Graeme Acton Connections program is supported by Westpac Agribusiness.
For more information visit beefaustralia.com.au
This is such a fantastic initiative of Beef Australia. Congratulations to all the mentor and mentor partners.