Do Beef Central’s job ads work? Here’s a recent advertiser testimonial…

Jon Condon, 06/05/2019

DURING February, Central Queensland’s Rocky Repro artificial breeding centre needed to recruit to fill a vacancy for a Lab Technician/Centre Support position.

Rocky Repro provides a range of bovine reproduction services, with the core enterprise being the collection and processing of bovine genetic material for domestic and international use.

Rocky-Repro-Logo-Colour-webPrincipal Tim North placed just two job advertisements for the position – both online.

One was via Beef Central’s ‘Jobs Central’ page, and the other via dedicated jobs website, Seek. No print advertising was taken whatsoever.

Despite the specialised nature of the job to be filled, the campaign attracted 100 applicants. Mr North said 40 percent of those came direct from Beef Central, with the remaining 60 percent via Seek.

“We were surprised by the size of the response,” he said. “It attracted a wide spectrum of applicants, both from within Australia and overseas. They varied from people with no lab experience who are currently working in the cattle industry, to people with broad experience in the field.

As well as applications from across Australia, the job attracted applications (via Seek) from Argentina, Israel and Pakistan.

Mr North said he chose the combination of Seek and Beef Central because one was a mass market job-seeker audience, while the other was highly-targeted at stakeholders aligned with the beef industry.

“Both worked for us,” he said.

“The chances of us picking up somebody with prior experience in this particular specialised field were very, very slim. So we went looking for somebody with a vet or medical background, or someone who has been in the bush all their lives and knows how to handle bulls, with an interest in biology that we could train-up in the lab side.”

“That’s why we went for Beef Central. We were very happy with the result.”


Here’s two earlier Jobs Central advertiser testimonials:

Consolidated Pastoral Co:  Quality over quantity says Jobs Central advertiser

Stockyard Beef: Do Beef Central’s recruitment ads work?






Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your comment will not appear until it has been moderated.
Contributions that contravene our Comments Policy will not be published.


Get Beef Central's news headlines emailed to you -