NUMBERS offered on AuctionsPlus fell 18 percent to 7889 head this week, with joined females and cows and calves making up the biggest portion of the listings.
Unjoined females were also in good supply, accounting for 2568 head, while heavy steers and heifers were reasonably well represented, reflecting the abundant spring conditions.
Standout weaner and yearling prices included 78 EU accredited unweaned Angus steers from Walcha, NSW, 277kg at 7-9 months, carrying Speriby North and Kilburnie genetics, that sold for an impressive 503c/kg or $1395.
From Narrabri, NSW, 54 Charolais and Santa cross steers weighing 358kg made 352c/kg or $1265 a head, while Angus and Droughtmaster heifers from Gravesend, NSW weighing 362kg made 348c/kg or $1260 a head. These heifers will be heading north to restockers into southern Queensland.
Angus heifers 354kg at 14-15 months from Booroowa, NSW also sold well, making 373c/kg or $1320 a head.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold, by weight range:
- Steers less than 250kg sold from 376/kg to 384c/kg to average 380c/kg, easing 41c; while heifers in the same weight category sold from 344c/kg to 406c/kg, with an average of 375c/kg, steady
- Steers 250kg to 300kg sold from 325c/kg to 503c/kg, with an average of 406c/kg, up 3c; while heifers sold from 305c/kg to 401c/kg to average 361c, easing 7c
- Steers 300kg to 350kg sold from 301c/kg to 435c/kg, averaging 375c/kg, easing 10c; while heifers sold from 291c/kg to 381c/kg, averaging 346c/kg, easing 15c
- Steers 350kg+ sold from 353c/kg to 412c/kg, with an average of 368c/kg, steady on last week; while heifers sold from 282c/kg to 373c/kg, with an average of 338c/kg, easing 10c
Breeding cattle highlights
Yearling heifers this week averaged $2472, which was significantly boosted by an offering of 79 Minnamurra Pastoral Co Speckle Park and Angus heifers from Boggabri, NSW.
The standout lot was a line of 20-21 month old females that made an outstanding $3240 a head, which had five unique bidders fighting it out to secure the pen. These award winning females are AI’d to an elite Speckle Park bull and will calve down in Autumn to calves that will have strong genetics.
Out of Alice Springs, a run of 78 station-mated Poll Hereford heifers ex The Garden Station 18-36 months averaging 394kg sold for 285c/kg to return $1123, while 144 backgrounder heifers from the same herd, 8-20 months averaging 268kg, made 305c/kg or $818/head.
Older females averaged $1675 this week, with 3-6 year old cows from Myrtleford, VIC selling for the top price of $2725. These herd book registered Pinnacle and Pert Angus blood cows were also AI’d to an Angus bull.
There was a large offering of cows and calves this week, which were highly sought-after by restockers. First-calvers averaged $2272 while second and third-calvers sold from $2200 to $2400.
Three to four year old Angus cows from Euroa, VIC sold for $2475. These PTIC cows with their first calf at foot are heading a short distance away to Alexandra. The calves are by Anvil Angus bulls and the cows are also joined back to an Anvil bull.
Older proven breeders averaged $2064. Hicks composite EU accredited cows sold for the top price of $2700. The seven-year-olds from Orange, NSW have Hicks Beef Composite and Rennylea Angus calves at foot averaging 120kg.
Wagyu F1 steers to 764c/kg
Wagyu continues to be the taste on everyone’s lips with solid prices seen throughout Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. At Mungallala, QLD, F1 Wagyu steers weighing 276kg sold for 760c/kg or $2100, while Wagyu x Angus steers 365kg at 12-14 months from Roma made $2480 and their heifer siblings 342kg made $2240.
In the Riverina, NSW, PCAS-Accredited F1 Wagyu steers 261kg made 764c/kg or $1995, while further south near Milawa, VIC, EU-Accredited F1 Wagyu mixed sex feeders weighing 345kg sold for 706c/kg or $2438.
Coming up on AuctionsPlus, 18 November sale:
- 110 NSM Angus heifers, EU-accredited, 396kg, a/c Kurrajong Vale Partnership, Coonabarabran, NSW
- 419 station-mated Angus cows/heifers and calves, EU-accredited, a/c Gilmour Pastoral, Camperdown, VIC. Contact Alister Nash 0427 932264
- 125 Angus cows and calves, 4-7 years, Matong NSW.
- 145 Angus NSM cows and heifers, a/c Paraway Pastoral Co, Coleambally NSW
- 86 station mated Angus cows/heifers and calves, Merriwa, NSW.