Former cattle and meat processing industry leaders have been recognised in the 2017 Queen’s Birthday 2017 Honours List, announced today.
Also honoured is the Australian Livestock Saleyards Association president; a cropping machinery manufacturer and Melbourne Cup winner; a channel country mayor; a pioneer of crop genomics and a Victorian Country Women’s Association president.
Among the recipients of the highest honours announced today was economist Professor Ross Garnaut AO, who was named a companion (AC) in general division of the order of Australia for eminent service to the community as a leading international economist in the area of energy efficiency and climate change policy, to the development of Australia-Asia Pacific relations, and through contributions to social and political discourse.
Professor Garnaut received an AO in 1993 for his role in restructuring the Australian economy as Prime-Minister Bob Hawke’s senior economic adviser from 1983 to 1985.
Among many roles he served as Australia’s Ambassador to China from 1985 to 1988; chairman of the Primary Industry Bank of Australia from 1989 to 1994 and chairman of the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research from 1994-2000.
He has led many high-level Government Reviews and Commissions, including the preparation of a Review of the Australian Wool Industry in 1993 and the Garnaut Climate Change Review in 2008.
Plant genomics pioneer, Emeritus Professor Geoff Fincher from the University of Adelaide, has been named an officer (AO) in the general division of the order of Australia for distinguished service to science, and to education, in the area of plant genomics, as an academic, researcher and administrator, through scientific advisory roles, and to international professional societies.
Professor Fincher’s service includes:
- University of Adelaide: Emeritus Professor, since 2015.
- Professor and Head of Department of Plant Science, 1993-2014.
- Head of Department, Plant Science, 1993-2002. Director, Waite Campus, 2003-2010.
- Deputy Dean, Faculty of Sciences, 2002-2003. Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Agricultural and National Resource Sciences, 1995-1996.
- Senior Lecturer and Reader in Plant Biochemistry, La Trobe University, 1982-1992.
- Member, South Australian Science Council, 2015-2017.
- Australian Research Council: Grant Assessor, 2000-2013.
- Member, College of Experts, 2014-2017.
- Founding Director, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Plant Cell Walls, 2011-2014.
- Cluster Leader, Food Futures Flagship Research Cluster on ‘High Fibre Grains’, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, 2011-2013.
- Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics, 2003-2010.
- Director, Program on Functional Genomics in the Growth and End-use of Quality Cereals, Grains Research and Development Corporation, 2000-2007.
- Member, Editorial Board, Planta (specialist academic journal), 1994-2014. Editor, Journal of Cereal Science (specialist academic journal), 2001-2009.
- Editor, Bioenergy Research (specialist academic journal), 2007-2010. Member, Editorial Board, Seed Science Research (specialist academic journal), 1990-2005.
- Monitoring Editor, Plant Physiology (specialist academic journal), 1998-2001.
- Senior Scientific Consultant, Carlsberg Breweries A/S (Denmark), 2015-2017.
- Board Member, AW Howard Trust, 2005-2014.
- Ambassador, Conventions Adelaide, 2010-2014.
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee, Biomime, Stockholm Technical University (KTH), Sweden, 2007-2012.
- Member, Review Panel, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Nigeria, 2010.
- Board Member, International Society of Plant Molecular Biology, 2001-2009.
- Board Member, Australian National Genomic Information Service, 1991-1993.
- Chair, Cereal Chemistry Division, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 1996-1997.
- Awards and recognition includes: Elected Fellow, Australian Academy of Science, 2016. Recipient, Kaj Lindestrom-Lang Prize, and Gold Medal, Carlsberg Laboratory, Denmark, 2016. Elected Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, 2014. Recipient, Megazyme International BA Stone Award, 2014. Recipient, Thomas Burr Osborne Medal, American Association of Cereal Chemists International, 2013. Elected Fellow, American Association of Cereal Chemists International, 2013. Recipient, South Australian Industry Leader Award, 2011. Elected Corresponding Member, American Society of Plant Biology, 2010. Recipient, F.B. Guthrie Award, Division of Cereal Chemistry, Royal Australian Chemistry Institute, 2001.
Animal Health Australia chair and former Cattle Council of Australia president Peter Milne was this morning named as a member (AM) in the general division of the Order of Australia for significant service to primary industry, particularly to the livestock sector, to animal health and biosecurity programs, and to the community.
Mr Milne’s service includes:
- Chair, Animal Health Australia, since 2011; Director, 2001-2011.
- Member, Biosecurity Queensland, Ministerial Advisory Council, since 2010.
- Non-Executive Director, National Livestock Identification System, 2008-2016;
- Chair, Cattle Advisory Committee, 2008-2016.
- Chair, Queensland Cattle Industry Biosecurity Fund, 2013-2015.
- Chair, Gladstone Seafood Promotion Committee, 2013-2014.
- Deputy Chair, Regional Development Australia Fitzroy and Central West Committee, 2012- 2014.
- Chair, Safe Food Production Queensland, 2011-2013.
- Chair, Central Queensland Forest Association, 2005-2011. Chair, Belmont Brian Pastures Committee, Agforce , 2005-2010.
- Director, Food Standards Australia New Zealand, 2002-2009.
- Director, Red Meat Advisory Council, 1998-2001.
- President, Cattle Council of Australia, 1998-2001.
- Executive Member, National Farmers Federation, 1998-2002
Beef exporter and former Australian Meat Industry Council president David Larkin has been named as a member (AM) in the general division of the Order of Australia for significant service to international business and commerce through leadership and innovation in the Australian beef export industry.
Mr Larkin’s service includes:
- Founder and Managing Director, Atron Enterprises Pty Ltd, since 1993. (Privately owned livestock producing, beef processing, marketing and export company).
- Developed ‘Larkin Model of USA Beef Quota Access Management’, 2003.
- Negotiated and authored the ‘North American Fat Claims Guidelines’, 2002-2013.
- Represented Australia in negotiations and signing of the ‘E.Coli protocol’ between Australia and the USA, 2003.
- Australian Meat Industry Council: Chairman, 2011-2016. Chairman, Victoria Branch. Chair, Market Access Working Group.
- National Chairman, National Export Beef Council.
- Chairman, Australian Working Group China, current; Instrumental in the signing of key trade agreements and MOU’s with China, paving the way for increased trade – China-Australia Free Trade Agreement signed June 2015.
- Director, Australian Meat Industry Council, 2011-2016. Chair, Market Access Working Group. Joint Chair, Export Meat Industry Council. Joint Chair, Strategic Planning Group, Industry / Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service [AQIS].
- Awards and recognition includes: Recipient, Business Development Award, Hong Kong Australia Business Association, 2015 and 2014. Recipient, Australian Red Meat Achiever Award, Beef Australia, 2015, ‘for outstanding service to the Australian beef and sheep meat industry in driving export certification reform.’ Recipient, Australian Export Hero, Export Council of Australia, 2014. Recipient, Agribusiness sector, The NSW Premier’s Export Award for Excellence, 2012, 2013 and 2015 and Highly Commended, Regional Exporter, 2014. Recipient, Business and Excellence Award, Casino Chamber of Commerce, 2009. Recipient, Maersk Distinguished Australian of the Year Award, Australian Meat Industry Council, 2009.
Transporter and National Road Transport Hall of Fame inductee John McPhee from Armidale in NSW was named a member (AM) in the general division of the Order of Australia for significant service to the road transport industry in the area of supply chain and logistics, and to the community.
Mr McPhee’s service includes:
- Road Transport and Logistics: Chairman, McPhee Distribution Services (previously known as Warehousing & Distribution Australia), since 1984. Proprietor and Chief Executive Officer, McPhee Transport (later known as McPhee Interstate Freight Express), 1964-1996.
- Former President, New South Wales Transport Association.
- Benefactor, ‘Bear Cottage’ Children’s Hospice, 1995.
- Supporter, Life Education Centre, Manly, 1980s.
- Benefactor, Australian Cancer Council of Australia.
- Proprietor, Maria River Cattle Company, since 2000.
- Founder and Developer, Shoal Bay Resort and Spa, Port Stephens, 1999.
- Awards and recognition includes: Inductee, National Road Transport Hall of Fame, 2008.
Australian Livestock Saleyards Association president Stuart McLean from Hamlyn Heights, Victoria, has been awarded a medal (OAM) of the order of Australia in the general division for service to the community, and to local government.
His service includes:
- Australian Livestock Saleyards Association president since 2011. Executive Member, ‘for 20 years’. Member, since 1996.
- Chair, Victorian Sheep and Goats Identification Advisory Committee, since 2009.
- Member, Victorian Feedlot Committee, Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (Agriculture Victoria), since 2001.
- Landcare: Deputy Chair, Buloke and Northern Grampians Landcare Network, since 2012; Past Chair, ‘for 10 years’; Founding Member, since 2002. Member, Wycheproof Landcare Group, since 1996.
- Member, Electric Line Clearance Consultative Committee, Energy Save Victoria, ‘for eight years’.
- North Central Catchment Management Authority: Board Member, 2000-2015. Past Chair, Noxious Weed Review. Past Chair, Landcare Grants Panel. Past Chair, Regional Sustainable Agriculture Strategy. Past Member, Regional Assessment Panel.
- Local Government: Councillor, Buloke Shire Council, 1997-2016. Mayor, ‘for two terms’. Community: Vice-Chair, Loddon Mallee Region, Regional Development Australia, since 2010.
- Past Member, Mallee Regional Partnership Committee, Victorian Government.
- Chair, Clan MacLean Australia Association, current.
- Member, Lions Club of Wycheproof, since 1980.
Former Coonamble, NSW, mayor and NSW Farmers councillor Tom Cullen was awarded a medal (OAM) of the Order Australia in the general division for service to local government, and to the community of Coonamble.
Mr Cullen’s service includes:
- Councillor, Coonamble Shire Council, since 1986; Mayor, 2012-2013 and 1995-1996; Deputy Mayor, 1997-2000 and 1988-1995.
- Executive Council Member, NSW Farmers’ Association, 2012-2016; Member, Grains Committee, 2012-2016.
- Member, GrainCorp, ‘for many years’.
- Chairman, Coonamble Silo Committee, and Active Committee Member, ‘for many years’.
- Committee Member, Coonamble Wool Cooperative, 1990-2000.
- Chief Steward, Wheat Competition, Coonamble Show Society, ‘for many years’.
- Awards and recognition includes: Recipient, Outstanding Service Award, Shires Association of NSW, 2008.
Goldacres Australia managing director John Richards from Lake Wendouree, Victoria, has been awarded a medal (OAM) of the order of Australia in the General Division for service to the community, and to the manufacturing sector.
His service includes:
- Managing Director, Goldacres Australia, since 1980s, (Goldacres designs and manufactures a range of spraying equipment for use by farmers).
- Chair, Curriculum Committee, Longerenong Agricultural College.
- Corporate Member, Committee for Ballarat, current.
- Committee Member, St Arnaud Turf Club, 1980s-1990s; Past President; Sponsor, current. Co-owner of 2015 Melbourne Cup winning racehorse ‘Prince of Penzance’
- Committee Member, St Arnaud Football Club.
- Committee Member, St Arnaud Lawn Tennis Club.
Barcoo Shire Council Mayor Bruce Scott received a Medal (OAM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for service to local government and his community.
Mr Scott’s service includes:
- Mayor, Barcoo Shire Council, since 2016, 2000-2012; Councillor, since 1994.
- Member, Central West Health and Hospital Service Board, 2012-2016.
- Representative/Consultant, Diamantina and Barcoo Shires Joint Fibre Optic Project, 2005- 2016.
- Chair, Desert Channels Queensland, 2013-2016.
- Director, Regional Natural Resource Management Groups Collective Board, 2013-2016.
- Chair, Outback Regional Roads Group. Co-Chair, Central West Regional Planning and Advisory Committee, since 2013. Director,
- Remote Area Planning And Development Board, since 2016 and 2000-2012.
- Past Member, Cooper’s Creek Catchment Committee.
- Member, Queensland State Government SWER (Single Wire Earth Return) Reference Group, since 2006.
- Member, Regional Telecommunications Independent Review Committee, Federal Government, 2007-2011.
- Ambassador, Queensland State Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries, since 2006.
- Member, Queensland State Government Geothermal Energy Working Group, since 2004.
- Committee Member, Tracking Tough Times Together Program, Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal, since 2014.
- Committee Member, Night Parrot Recovery Team, since 2015.
- Committee Member, Rural Financial Counselling Service North Queensland, since 2016.
- Chair Central West Digital Strategy Reference Group, since 2016.
Long serving Australian Country Women’s Association member Helen Wall, Gowangardie,Vic, has been awarded a medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the general division for service to women, and to the community.
Her Service includes:
- Australian Country Women’s Association: Convenor, Organising Committee, National Conference, 2009.
- Country Women’s Association of Victoria Inc: Convenor, Advisory Board, current. President, 2007-2009. Deputy President, 2005-2007. Vice President, 2003-2005. Member of Honour, since 2010. Chairman, Creative Arts Committee, 2001-2003. Committee Member, Catering, ‘1 year’; Administration and Finance Committee, ’12 years’; Executive, ‘8 years’; Agenda ‘8 years’; Fund Raising, ‘4 years’; Magazine, ‘2 years’; Marketing, ‘4 years’; Country Women’s Association of Australia, Convenor Scholarship Committee, ‘2 years’; Convenor Craft Stall Club Fair; ‘2 years’; Co-Convenor Holiday Week, ‘1 year’. Member, Chicks With Attitude Team, Murray Marathon, since 2004. Member, Caniambo Branch, since 1974; President; Vice President; Secretary; Treasurer. President, Eastern Goulburn Valley Group, 1998-2000; Group Bus Convenor; Group Exhibition Convenor; Group Craft Leader. Judge, Handicrafts and Home Industries. Member, Organising Committee, Area Conference, Ballarat, 2004.
- Community: Member, Ladies Committee, Shepparton Agricultural Society, since 1989; Steward Captain; Life Member, since 2010. Treasurer. Cosgrove South Tennis Club, since 1972. Secretary, Caniambo-Gowangardie-Tamleigh History Committee.